I registered the trailer... took 3 fricken hours running around town and sitting at the DMV. Anyway, I installed the trailer hitch. This was some wacky crap though. Since the bumper beam was a box, I had to drill it and run a fish through the hole and out the end. Then I had to tape a carriage bolt and a matching washer to the fish and pull it back through the hole I drilled. Who knows what hells I would have endured if the bolt fell off the tape and stuck inside that fricken death box. After that, the trunk bolts were a breeze. I also installed a trailer jack.
In order to legally tow this hunk of metal around and pick up materials from the Depot, I had to wire up the tail lights. So, I downloaded the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy.com and spliced in a connector for the trailer. This wasn't as easy as I thought it would be because, of course, the Malibu has separate turning and brake lights. This required a few 6A rectifier diodes and it still doesn't work right, because I needed to use high-power transistors and they weren't readily available. It's enough to fool the cops until I get the thing built and run real wiring. Also, being a painted trailer, there was no path for ground. So even if the screw for connecting the ground for the trailer actually existed per the manual, the lights wouldn't have had ground contact anyway. I'd have to grind down spots near the lights and maybe even jumper most of the frame because there's no metal-to-metal contact anywhere! Alternatively, I just ran an extra ground wire to each tail light.
Here's the crossbeam installation in progress. Almost done here. Four bolts into the frame on the first, second, fourth and sixth beam. Two in the others. This looks simple, but it took a few hours. Drilling through the steel was time consuming and the very first beam, which I did last, required a lot of thinking and measuring to line up properly with the existing through-holes.
The greatest thing to come from this, was getting my garage back from the piles of trash and broken overhead door.
Expenses this post:
10' Pressure treated 2x4
3 x 10' Pressure treated 4x4
Wheeled trailer jack
Bolts, washers, nuts
Total Project Expenses: $477.26
Total Project Weight: 380lbs.